WHAT IS AFFILIATE MARKETING?
Affiliate marketing is the act of promoting someone else’s products or services on your blog or social media and earning a commission when someone makes a purchase through your unique affiliate link.
There are hundreds if not thousands of affiliate programmes available no matter what niche you serve. Think about the products you love and use every day or the programmes and platforms you use to help you
With most affiliate programs, you will earn a commission every time you make a sale through your affiliate link. However, there are other types of affiliate programs that you might encounter which are pay per lead and pay per click.
Pay per lead means that you will earn a commission if someone simply signs up for a free trial, creates a free account, gives the company their email address, etc.
For example, SKILLSHARE is an affiliate program that pays per lead: You earn $7 for every person who signs up for a free trial of the service through your link.
Pay per click means that you earn money every time someone clicks your link.
However, since it is the most common I will mainly be talking about pay per sale affiliate programs as they most profitable way you can earn money from affiliate marketing.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AFFILIATE MARKETING?
There are so many advantages to affiliate marketing that make it a great source of income for bloggers and content creators:
- Passive income You know I am a fan of passive income – Once you have created the content, you can almost let it run by itself. Pointing people to the direction of you post when it can help people on social and Pinterest and let it do the work for you. I have two blog posts that bring me in a couple of hundred pounds a month.
- Easier than products or services. While many bloggers often go on to create their own products or services and it is something I 100% recommend if you want to take your earning potential to the next level, however doing that can be time intensive. Affiliate marketing is super easy to set up and just get started earning.
- Great for new bloggers. Unlike other forms of passive monetisation (such as ads on your blog) you don’t need a huge amount of page traffic in order to start earning a decent amount of money with affiliate marketing. Which is why it’s a great option for new bloggers looking to monetise.
HOW MUCH DO YOU GET PAID?
There are two payment types:
- Flat rate Which means you get paid the same amount each time someone signs up for example which someone signs up for my email provided ConvertKit I get £15.
- Percentage This is normally the case when the product prices vary. For example RewardStyle. People can purchase a variety of products ranging in price so if you might get 20% regardless of whether the product cost £20 or £100.
WHO PAYS YOU AND HOW OFTEN DO YOU GET PAID?
You will get paid by the affiliate program normally via direct transfer to your bank account or via Paypal .
When you get paid depends on the affiliate program in question. Some affiliate programs may have a 30 to 90 day delay on payments, while others such as Amazon require you to reach a minimum sales (in their case £25) threshold before you can cash out.
WHAT PRODUCTS AND SERVICES CAN YOU BECOME AN AFFILIATE FOR?
There are so many affiliate programs out there! Fashion, Interiors, Beauty, Travel, Business (Blogging & Systems), Parenting, the list goes on
One way to find out if a company has an affiliate program or not is simply by googling the name of the business and affiliate. You’ll quickly see if they participate in one.
HOW CAN BLOGGERS MAKE MONEY FROM AFFILIATE MARKETING?
Once you have joined a few affiliate programs, it’s time to start promoting your affiliate links! There are loads of ways you can promote your affiliate links:
- In blog posts
- On social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- On Pinterest
- To your email list
Note: When sharing affiliate links on your blog, social media, etc. it’s important that you always disclose that you are using an affiliate link. You can read more about the ASA’s rules for disclosure here.
DO I NEED A LOT OF TRAFFIC OR FOLLOWERS?
I don’t believe you do!! I first received an affiliate commission from my blog when I had less than 1000 page views per month. And I made an affiliate sale from my email list when I had less than 500 subscribers.
You just need to make sure you are promoting the right things for the audience that are following you
While you do not need to a huge following or tonnes of website traffic, there are a few things you do need to do to start making affiliate sales:
- Only promote products you truly use and love and are proud to stand behind. People can tell if you are being fake.
- When writing blog posts that contain affiliate links, you should always be providing value to your reader. Explain how and why the product is helpful, and show examples of how you have personally used the product.
- Follow the 80/20 rule: Spend 20% of your time creating content, and 80% of your time promoting it. No one is ever going to click your affiliate links if they aren’t even seeing your blog posts!
I hope that has given you a better idea on how you can start making money as an affiliate marketer.
If you haven’t already checked out all my free Blogging and Instagram resources you can head to GRABMYFREEBIES.COM