IKEA HEMNES SIDETABLE MAKEOVER
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU.
I like most people have several IKEA pieces around the house. It’s one of those things you buy because it’s practical, reasonably priced, and easily accessible.
It’s one of those things you buy because you don’t have the time or energy to shop around for what you really want or you don’t want to look around because you will be disappointed by the price tag of what you really want… just me?!
I bought this side table 3 years ago as a functional sidetable for our spare room, I hadn’t given the decor plan much thought and just needed something quickly.
We moved house, had a baby, and no longer have a spare room so it got plonked in the corner of the lounge (handle removed because ‘hey, toddler’…).
After weeks more like months of renovating our hallway and parquet floor I needed a quick creative win/outlet. So I decided to upcycle it. I can tell you it felt so good to make something over in a couple of hours, for just a few pounds, and have it make such an impact.
- Dowels – https://amzn.to/3eXV7Ed
- Wood Glue – https://amzn.to/2QZ50ta
- Sandpaper – https://amzn.to/3o3q7a4
- Sugar Soap – https://frenchicpaint.co.uk/collections/frenchic-sugar-soap?ref=abihugo
- Salt of the Earth Frenchic paint – https://frenchicpaint.co.uk/products/salt-of-the-earth?variant=8339680985175?ref=abihugo
- Finishing Coat – https://frenchicpaint.co.uk/collections/finishing-coat?ref=abihugo
- Handles – https://amzn.to/3nXDGaJ
Step by step:
- Remove the draw front.
- Cut the dowels in half (I was lazy here as I could have cut them down to size in the first instance but it was easier to do it at the end as I am lucky enought to have the tools to do this)
- Sand the front of the drawer and glue the dowels on to the draw front with wood glue.
- Clean the frame with sugar soap to give it a deep clean and make sure the paint adheres well.
- Give it a light sand with 220 grit sandpaper
- Give it another quick rub down just to ensure you clean off all the dust
- Paint with Frenchic lazy range I chose Salt of the Earth for this upcycle.
- give it a light sand in between coats just to help the paint stick well
- Optional: seal with Frenchic …
- Add pretty handle and BOOM…
lovely new updated side table that no longer looks like you purchased it from IKEA.
Let me know in the comments what you think? Do you like this? Will you try this?